Monday, November 22, 2010

Hungry Yet?


Last week at the beginning of spin class, our instructor mentioned she had just finished reading a series called The Hunger Games. I had vaguely heard of them, but she said they were great.

So when I saw them on sale at our school’s book fair this week, I knew that 8 dollars and 99 cents of my gift cards (thanks you to my students!) was going to go to the first book in the series.



Description from Amazon:In a not-too-distant future, the United States of America has collapsed, weakened by drought, fire, famine, and war, to be replaced by Panem, a country divided into the Capitol and 12 districts. Each year, two young representatives from each district are selected by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. Part entertainment, part brutal intimidation of the subjugated districts, the televised games are broadcasted throughout Panem as the 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors, literally, with all citizens required to watch. When 16-year-old Katniss's young sister, Prim, is selected as the mining district's female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart, Peeta, the son of the town baker who seems to have all the fighting skills of a lump of bread dough, will be pitted against bigger, stronger representatives who have trained for this their whole life.

One of my goals over the break is to do lots of reading, and I think reading almost 2/3 of the book in one sitting counts. It started a little slow, but it’s turned into a real page turner.

So after about 4 hours of reading tonight, I forced myself to put it down when I got to Part 3. I usually have a bad habit of reading about 8 books at once, which mostly stems from not wanting good books end. I would be so sad if I had this great book and didn’t get to savor it for a few days. I want to make it last. But at the same time, I have to know what happens next, so I have to keep reading!

In any respect, I think I can at least make it last until tomorrow, as long as I force myself to go to bed right after I finish this post. To be fair, the book won’t be changing the world any time soon, but it is a great page turner and quick read for the holiday break!



Have something you adore? Share it in the comments, or email adoretoday at gmail dot com.

No comments:

Post a Comment