After using the classroom clock for a math lesson today, I noticed that the clock had stopped running when I put it back up on the wall. A little while later I took it back down and started to fix the time, when I noticed the battery was corroded. One of my students was standing nearby, and I said "Hey check this out! The battery's all corroded." He asked "Is that why it stopped working?" to which I replied "Maybe."
Very matter-of-factly, he asked "Well, did it look like that yesterday?" "I don't know," I said. "I don't take the clock off the wall and look at the battery every day." To which the student replied "Oh.... I thought you did."
"Why would I do that?" I asked him.
He shrugged. "Because you're a teacher."
I love my job.