Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Universe is a Pretty Big Place

One of my favorite blogs on my RSS is The Boston Globe’s The Big Picture. They post world events through the eyes of photographers. For Advent (which we all know I love!) they have been doing a daily photo of images of space.

And let me tell you.

They are amazing.

galaxy 3

galaxy 4

galaxy 2

And the pictures are even more amazing when you read the descriptions of what they are, where they are located, and what is happening.

I’ve always enjoyed astronomy, I took it in college, and I love doing our astronomy unit every year in fifth grade. I think part of it was the fact that my brother wanted to be an astronaut for years growing up. There’s so much perspective brought into view when you start to realized just how tiny we are. Stars, planets, galaxies, endless, going on forever. And here we are, a teeny tiny planet making up less than .5% of a teeny tiny solar system with a baby star, one of many in our galaxy, which goes on and on and on, into other galaxies. The images are beautiful and declare the glory of the Lord. I mean, how can you look at these photos and see them as an accident or random serendipity?

It’s been fun to get a new one in my Reader inbox every day and just marvel at it. So take a peek- enjoy!

Have something you adore? Leave a comment below or email it to adoretoday at gmail dot com.

No comments:

Post a Comment